Monday, June 26, 2017

The Weekly Update - Monday, June 26th, 2017 - Two Blackmoors, Two Very Diferent Groups

Ah, dear Harchar...

It has been a pretty busy week, here at The Workbench; Fifth Daughter is back this week from Basel, and her sister is also arriving - from Zurich, in this case. Third Daughter's wedding looms, and I have a truck to pack full of folding chairs and tables along with the occasional pavilion. I also had my niece's graduation, and lots of family stuff going on.

As I mentioned a while back, I had been invited to the Annual Blackmoor Game run by Bob Meyer, who inherited Dave Arneson's original Blackmoor campaign when Dave passed away. This was a continuation of the game session last year, and featured all of the original Blackmoor people who could make it. I stopped in and had a nice visit with Dave Megarry, Dave Wesely, Malia Arneson, and of course Bob himself. I didn't play; I felt that I was intruding on a family occasion, and it just didn't feel right for me to be there. Maybe next year...

One additional complication was that the D&D group that had invited me to come along on their own Blackmoor campaign, this time the d20 "Blackmoor" book and D & D 5th edition, as we were going to have a fairly nasty fight on our hands in this particular game session; this had been scheduled before I got the invitation from Bob, and 'first come, first served'... We got the fight we expected, and while we won, it was at fearful loss, and it's going to take a while to recover.

I am enjoying this campaign, as the players are great, but I think I'll be bowing out of this group as soon as we make it back to Blackmoor in the next game session. I am not enjoying 5e, not by a lot chot, as all the number-crunching take forever and bores me silly. I am also not very happy with the d20 version of Blackmoor, as while it's a very good adventure resource, I will freely admit that I'm spoiled - I played with Dave, and there's very little Dave in the books. My Blackmoor will always have Gertie the Great Golden Dragon, and Dave laughing his head off.

So it goes; we'll have to see where gaming takes me, this year.

6 comments:

  1. It's taking you to my game! Next session is July 16th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive got it on the calendar - we'll see if we can restore video service by then...

      Delete
  2. Chirine, you're a lucky man: you get to see the whole spectrum of Blackmoor, and sometimes in the very same day, which is amazing. From the *original campaign* all the way down to Fifth Edition D20. Talk about a clash of generations!!!

    I play with my old (Gen X) gaming buddies, and that's about it. I never get to play alongside a Dave Megarry, and I never get to play alongside young 30-year-old chaps, either. You definitely have a unique perspective, and that is fantastic!

    Anyway, now I guess it's time for you to focus on your daughter's wedding, and I'm pretty sure this great event will require as much work as putting together a game for Gary Con...

    After the wedding is done, maybe (just maybe) you could run a little "family" game with the entire household (i.e. The Missus + 5 daughters + husbands). I'd be VERY curious to see how much ass such a party would kick! That blog post would be a blast to read, that's for sure. 😉😉

    That's it for now, my friend. *Good luck* with the wedding! Hope it's a gorgeous, sunny day. And of course, congratulations to the bride & groom!👍👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do think I've been very, very lucky in my life. (More on this to come.) The wedding went well, with a lot of laughter and some excitement - post to follow...

      Delete
  3. Very cool. My wife and I will be in Basel on Sunday, and Zurich on Thursday next week. Small world! Frank (Dave's friend)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Have a great time, and we'll hope to see you after you get back! :)

      Delete